Year 2 2023 - 2024
Miss Roberts 2DR
Hi! I am Miss Roberts, and I am the KS1 lead. This will be my sixth year teaching at
Woodlands Primary School, and I am so excited for another fantastic year at such a
I am passionate about teaching all subjects but I particularly enjoy physical education and mathematics. I believe that physical activity should be at the heart of all learning to support our personal and academic development. I also enjoy the opportunities within both PE and maths to problem solve and work together.
When I am not in school, I like to keep myself busy with exercise and going on long
countryside walks. I also enjoy travelling to new cities and countries, and spending time with
my family and friends.
Mr Barnes 2PB
Hello everyone! I am Mr Barnes and I have been working at Woodlands Primary School for 17 years across EYFS, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
I am passionate about the Arts and have led a number of whole school art projects since starting at Woodlands. One of the most successful projects was the one based on the impact of palm oil on animals in Sumatra. It was in association with Chester Zoo and the school looked amazing when completed. The children produced work of such a high standard and more importantly, understood how important it is to look out for products using sustainable palm oil ingredients.
Outside of school, I have two children, Mia, 18 and Charlie who is 16. I enjoy running, cycling, football and most of all, being with my family. I cannot wait to learn more about you, and discover what your passions, hopes and dreams are!
I am very excited to be your new teacher and I cannot wait to help you to be the best you can be!
Welcome back to our Year 2 children. We hope you had an enjoyable half term break. We are looking forward to another exciting half term.
Our main text for this half-term is 'Nibbles the Book Monster', by Emma Yarlett.
'Nibbles, the book eating monster, has nibbled his way out of his own book and now he's causing mischief and mayhem in other people's stories!'
Mastery Targets for Autumn 2:
- To add -ly to turn adjectives into adverbs
- To use co-ordination (but, or)
- To use commas to seperate items in a list
For the first part of this half term, we will be completing units of work on shape and money.
Mastery Targets for Autumn 2:
- Identify and describe the properties of 2D shapes
- Compare and sort common 2D and 3D shapes
- Identify and describe the properties of 3D shapes
- Identify 2D shapes on the surface of 3D shapes
- Recognise and use symbols for pounds (£) and pence (p)
- Solve simple problems in a practical context
Read Write Inc. sessions will continue to develop the children's reading skills as they learn their sounds, segmenting and blending whilst also developing their comprehension skills. If you would like to help your child to practise their phonic knowledge for reading at home, then follow the link www.ruthmiskin.com for more information.
During Science this half term, we will be learning about living things and their habitats
- Identify and name different habitats
- Compare the differences between living, dead and things that have never been alive
- Be able to identify and name a variety of plants, animals and their habitats
During our history sessions this half term, we will be learning all about The Great Fire of London
The key facts we will learn are:
- The Great Fire of London started on Sunday 2nd September 1666
- The fire started in a bakery on Pudding Lane
- The fire spread so quickly as the houses were very close together and made from wood and straw
- The fire ended on Thursday 6th September 1666
- After the fire, many buildings were rebuilt made of stone
- all about Samuel Pepys
Some useful websites:
Please make sure that your child wears their PE kit to school on their PE days: Monday and Friday
Indoor kit: a white t-shirt, black shorts, pumps and socks
Outdoor kit: plain, dark coloured jogging bottoms, a jumper or hoody and outdoor trainers, socks
Please make sure all items of school clothing are clearly labelled and that named water bottles are sent in daily.
Files to Download
Year 2: Events items
There are no Events items to display